I’ve come to understand that the plans and purposes of God in our lives do not revolve around our emotions and feelings! This may come off as something that should be obvious but too many people on a consistent basis allow their primitive feelings hinder, and interfere with God’s plans for their lives. The issue of people being led emotionally spans from throwing away God-given friendships, to getting themselves in bondage because something “felt” right initially. Or pleased their carnal senses. It’s my prayer that by the end of this blog you learn the importance of being SPIRIT led in your daily life. IN JESUS NAME – Amen!
“How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own UNGODLY LUSTS. These be they who separate themselves, SENSUAL, having NOT the Spirit.” – Jude 1:18-19
- Ungodly – Anything contrary to the nature and will of God (Yahweh)
- Lust – Yearning or desire; A strong or excessive craving
- Sensual – Pertaining to, inclined to, or preoccupied with the gratification of the senses or appetites; carnal; fleshly.
It’s easy for so many Christians to believe that just because they are not engaged in certain sins, they’re being led by the Spirit. Although that would sound logical, it’s a deception from the devil. As believer’s we’re called to be fully led by the Holy Spirit in ALL our ways! I’ve come across many proclaiming Christians who have hunger to do something so badly that they literally go in the scripture and convince themselves they can do it just because it’s not a part of the 10 commandments or called a “sin” in the scripture. The issue is, just because it’s not called a “sin” does not mean that it’s edifying to the spirit. We’ve thrown away the art of subjecting our desires, lusts, and appetites to the Holy Spirit and instead find every way to indulge in them even if it means cherry-picking through scriptures to justify ourselves.
– If you’re indecisive, get rid of it –
“But I keep UNDER my body, and bring it into SUBJECTION: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a CASTAWAY”- 1st Corinthians 9:27
- Under (Strongs G5299) – To beat black and blue, to smite so as to cause bruises & livid spots
- Subjection (Strongs G1396) – To make a slave/ treat as a slave with severity & rigid discipline
- Castaway (Strongs G96) – That which is not to prove itself such as it ought, unreproved, spurious
The Apostle Paul was referring to making his body a slave to his spirit. We must always remember that it is our spirits that receive inspiration and instruction from God. Not our feelings, not our mind, not our emotions. It’s easier to be led by our past experiences, hurt, what we see, what we hear, and what others say about us. It’s easier to respond to someone based off how they treat you initially. It may be easier to do those things, but if you’re someone who does then you’ll be constantly walking outside of the will of God for your life. Once you begin to walk in the Spirit, you’ll learn to control your fleshly appetite, your emotional appetite, your carnal lusts and cravings.
Being Led Sensually Can:
- Put You in Unequally Yoked Relationships/Friendships: I’ve seen many Christians in relationships and friendships that are not ordained by God. These connections destroy their spiritual lives and stop them from growing intimately with God. A lot of times these believers have created such a strong emotional tie with that person that even when they realize it’s damaging, they continue. I’ve heard excuses such as “God is using me to help them”, “They’ll come around”, “I’ve got an assignment in their lives”, “They said they’re coming to Christ”. It’s important that we’re discerning enough to know when someone is being used by the devil to drain, distract, and pull us away from Christ. Have they been growing spiritually when you’ve been with them? Have YOU been growing spiritually? Or have they just pulled you down with them? If they’re not growing with you or helping you grow, they have no place in your life. Don’t let an emotional connection prolong a connection which God has severed.
- Hinder Sources of Blessings/Deliverance: As someone who administers deliverance to others consistently, I’ve noticed that a majority of the people who I’ve helped receive deliverance for some reason have disliked me even without knowing me personally. If your “first impression” of someone is in the flesh, you might miss out on a divine connection that God may want to give you. Never write someone off because of an initial falling out, or what someone has told you about them. Always be open to be led by the Holy Spirit regardless of what your emotions, pride, and past tell you. A lot of time the devil might blind you to a valuable resource which God has placed inside someone which can help in your specific situation. Also do not burn bridges and fall out with everyone after their assignment in your life is over. Just because their season in your life may be over does NOT give you the right to treat them however you want, even if there was a disagreement. You may be shutting doors which God has opened for you.
- Lead to Unanswered Prayers: “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.” – James 4:3. Just because it feels right does not mean you should pray for it. Sometimes we try to make God “bless our mess” by putting a “Jesus Sticker” on our fleshly desires. It’s a sign of spiritual immaturity if your prayers only consist of requesting for God to give you things and do things for you. Intercession and supplication for others should make up a majority of our prayer-life. We must learn to pray according to what is IMPORTANT to God not only in our lives, but also in our community, church, nation, and generation as a whole. We need to get out of the flesh and tap into the will of God so that we can be effective whenever we get on our knees to talk to Elohim.
How to Overcome Being Emotionally Driven
- Living A Fasted Life: Living a fasted life is the most powerful and effective way to take control of your emotions. Fasting CONSISTENTLY brings the flesh under subjection and allows your spirit to take control of your body and perception of things and people. If you do not fast it is likely that you are being led by emotions and flesh. You may be morally good, but there will come a time and situation that will cause you to break if you are not in complete control of your emotions. I speak on this topic more in my blog on – FASTING –
- Increasing Your Prayer-life: The more time you spend in the presence of God, the easier it is for you to discern His voice and operate in His will for your life. We must break out of the “15 minutes of prayer before bed” mentality. If we’re truly going to be led by the Holy Spirit we must learn to dwell in His manifest presence and be prepared to spend quality intimate time with God!! Not to be religious but to truly understand the heart of our Father. People usually make excuses like “it doesn’t take all that”, “We’re not saved by works”, “God hears you and loves you regardless” just because they’re afraid of disciplining themselves to spend real time with God. Make it your habit of pushing your flesh to do exactly what it tells your carnal instincts tell you not to do.
- Reading the Word of God: “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” – 2nd Corinthians 10:4-5. When you read the Word of God in order to learn and be transformed, a change will take place in the way you think and view other people and events. The problem is that so many who call themselves Christians read the bible not to grow, but to justify their actions and fleshly desires. For example I’ve seen people use bible verses to justify drinking alcohol, smoking, listening to secular music, being in unequally yoked relationships/friendships, and getting tattoos. They use the bibles lack of clarity on the topics to justify them doing such things. Truth is, if something is feeding your flesh and not edifying you spiritually then you should throw it away. If you’re having a hard time letting it go then truth is you’ve made it an idol above the God you claim to serve. We must understand that the Bible is used to transform us to glory to glory. As we look into the word it’s meant to be a mirror that gradually shapes us into walking in perfection even as Christ did!
- Let Go of Outside Influences: If you have friends who always encourage you to do things that will not edify your spirit, then you should let them go. It’s emotionally pleasing to have people who agree with everything you do and say, but keeping such people around you can influence you to being led off carnal cravings. We need those who will push us towards the standard of holy living and keep us in check with the Word of God. Also, letting go of secular music brings a HUGE decline on being led emotionally. Because it’s easy to feel and be led off of the emotions which a song is promotions. For example, some songs promote lust and promiscuity while others promote depression, sadness, lack of trust, pride, anger, vanity and such. I always say “If the Holy Spirit wasn’t the one who inspired an artist to write that song, then what spirit did? That’s the spirit that will oppress you as you listen to it”.
OUR EMOTIONS WERE GIVEN TO US TO BETTER UNDERSTAND WHAT’S GOING ON IN OUR HEARTS, NOT TO LEAD OUR ACTIONS
- Pray for deliverance from emotional bondages in the form of: hurt, rejection, anger, broken heart, grief, sadness, hatred, bitterness, rage, covetousness, greed, unbelief, cursing, lying, blasphemy, mocking, murmuring, and filthy Communication.
- Pray for a restoration of your soul. That God heal you emotionally.
- Pray that God give you the grace to fast, spend time in His presence, and cut off any outside influences which aid you in being led sensually.
I PRAY THAT FROM THIS DAY I BEGIN TO BE LED BY THE SPIRIT. I PRAY THAT EVERY EMOTIONAL BONDAGE IN MY LIFE BE BROKEN AND I RECEIVE COMPLETE EMOTIONAL HEALING. NO LONGER WILL I BE LED BY EMOTIONS, FEELINGS, OR MY PAST EXPERIENCES AND HURT. I BREAK EVERY CONNECTION TO OUTSIDE INFLUENCES WHICH AIM TO KEEP ME IN BONDAGE. I RECEIVE THE STRENGTH AND GRACE TO BEGIN TO FAST, PRAY, AND READ THE WORD OF GOD. IN JESUS NAME. AMEN!